Yesterday we went on a field trip to the intersection of Orchard Boulevard and Paterson Road as part of our inquiry into movement. Last week, in preparation for our trip, we made some predictions about what we might see.
Orchard Boulevard and Paterson Road are two streets in the very centre of Singapore so they are very busy with lots of traffic and also very close to our school. We walked to the intersection from school which gave us a chance to think about road safety and the choices people need to make when they are moving and sharing the road with other people and vehicles. Before we left school we brainstormed a list of things we would need to do to stay safe:
We continued to observe and analyze movement on the road and also began to consider how the road is organized when Denzil noticed signs in the shape of diamonds and triangles and Johnny noticed some patterns.
Here are the signs we saw. Which shapes do you see?
We stopped for awhile at the side of the road on a platform just outside of Wheelock Place. We were far enough from the road to keep our bodies safe, but close enough that we could still see all the different kinds of movement and make sketches and interpretations. We went in groups of two with Ms. Alison to look at the movement closer to the street.
- I see the red and yellow and that means stop and slow down. There are lights for people to see. (Ayesha)
- I saw a truck. It's red and he's stopping and amber and he's getting ready and green and he's going. (Lucy)
- I saw a car that was moving with lights. The red man and the green man let people go. The red one means people stop. (Lea)
- There was a taxi. It was driving people. (Zoe)
- There is a bus taking people to school. (Zoe)
- There's cars and this one [the light] is yellow and red and green. Go and stop and slow. (Cameron)
- A bus and the people are going on the bus. (Axel)
- I saw people waiting for the cars and buses to stop. I also saw some people and buildings and clouds in the sky. (Denzil)
- The car and the taxi and the trucks and the motorcycle and the peoples. They are all going to their place. (Daniel)
- I saw a pattern: black, yellow, black, yellow. I saw cars and trees. There were big giant buses driving. (Johnny)
- I saw cars and buses driving and then when the light is changed to red the people stop and at green the people just go. (Emma)
- I saw a bus and a car and they were zooming. (Aziz)
- A bus is running. (Wilma)
- A bus and my friends. There was someone going inside the bus. There's a bicycle and a walk. (Wilma)
- I saw motorcycles and trucks and I also saw some airplanes when I looked up. (Violett)